Contact a Syracuse Family Law Attorney
When it comes to choosing an attorney to handle your family law matter, you should consider key factors such as your lawyer’s experience and background handling cases similar to yours and the attentiveness your lawyer has to your legal concerns.
Contact the law offices of Elisabeth A. Barker, Attorney at Law, in Syracuse, New York to discuss legal issues pertaining to any of these practice areas:
- Divorce: We are prepared to help you initiate a divorce action and assist you through the entire process. We will advise you of your options all along the way.
- Separation Agreements: When a couple can engage in methods to reach a reasonable Agreement prior to marriage, the groundwork is in place to protect each spouse’s premarital assets. Similarly, upon the breakup of a marriage, with the signing of a Separation Agreement, the groundwork is laid for a smoother divorce.
- Child custody and support: The law firm of Elisabeth A. Barker, Attorney at Law, assists divorced, separated, and never-married parents in reaching an agreement about child custody/visitation and support matters. Attorney Barker can also assist with modifications and violations of agreements and orders.
- Collaborative Law: Parties engage in a non-litigation approach in order to eventually obtain a separation agreement and eventually a divorce. This method involves both the Husband and Wife and their respective attorneys working together to devise solutions which will resolve all issues in a peaceable, open and honest manner. It places decision-making in the hands of the Husband and Wife and not the Courts. Akin to mediation, collaborative law is usually practiced by way of four-way meetings consisting of divorcing spouses and their respective attorneys.
- Adoption: We can handle an adoption of a newborn, foster child or step-child. We will also ensure that your adoption is able to withstand any potential legal challenge. We can also assist you with an interstate adoption.
- Traffic Violations: Without our help, you might have to return to New York to appear in Court “just for a traffic ticket.” We have had considerable success obtaining positive results with charges reduced and, in some instances, tickets thrown out for technicalities.
- Paternity: A determination of paternity, obtained by an Acknowledgment of Paternity, Order of Filiation or of a child born of a marriage, is a necessary requisite for child custody and support.
- Domestic Violence: If the perpetrator is a family member or the parent of your child, we can assist you with obtaining an Order of Protection so you will feel safe and protected.
- Name Change: A person may wish to change their name after a divorce, adoption or an estrangement from family. We can help you legally change your name and obtain a new birth certificate.
If you contact us, we are confident you will choose the law offices of Elisabeth A. Barker, Attorney at Law. Call or e-mail our law firm if you have a family law, divorce or traffic violation question.