Syracuse Same-Sex Marriage Lawyer
With the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York comes the ability for gay and lesbian couples to obtain all of the benefits and legal tools that have, up until now, been solely for use by heterosexual couples.
At the law firm of Elisabeth A. Barker, Attorney at Law, we provide supportive and understanding legal services to same-sex couples who are seeking to marry. Whether you are looking for legal advice prior to your wedding or would like assistance tying up loose ends after your honeymoon, we are here to help. Contact our Syracuse same-sex marriage attorney to learn more.
Legal Services for Gay and Lesbian Couples Seeking to Marry
Our dedicated family law attorney has more than 15 years of experience representing individuals who would like to understand their rights and options prior to entering into marriage. Attorney Barker works side-by-side with a paralegal who has nearly 20 years of experience in providing comprehensive family-related legal services, including:
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: If you have currently been living with your partner under a cohabitation agreement, we are available to assist you in changing that agreement into a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement.
- Parental rights: As you will be married in the eyes of the law, you will both also have the full rights and responsibilities that come along with being parents. Whether one of you is the biological parent or you have sought out adoption to build your family, we can ensure you are given the same legal rights as heterosexual couples.
- Estate planning: Married couples are provided many tools for bypassing probate, including the naming of beneficiaries on bank accounts and retirement funds. However, proper estate planning also requires that you update or create a will, health care directive and power of attorney that specifically names your spouse.
- Name changes: If you have already obtained your marriage license and would now like help handling all the paperwork that comes after getting married, we are here to help.
Other Legal Services for Same-Sex Couples
As with heterosexual marriages, same-sex marriage also brings along with it the potential for divorce. At our New York family law firm, we can provide you with comprehensive divorce services, including advice and advocacy regarding:
- Property division, including both assets and debts
- Spousal maintenance/alimony and child support
- Child custody
Contact Our Cortland Gay Marriage Attorney
We are here to help you adjust to the new laws that allow for gay marriage and lesbian marriage. Contact our New York law firm today to learn about your new rights.
Syracuse, NY 13202